Low potassium (hypokalemia) refers to a decrease than regular degree of potassium within the bloodstream. Potassium helps transmit electrical alerts to the cells of the physique. It’s essential for the correct functioning of neuromuscular cells, particularly cardiac muscle cells.
Usually, the extent of potassium within the blood ranges from 3.6 to five.2 mmol per liter (mmol/L). Very low potassium degree (lower than 2.5 mmol/liter) could also be life-threatening and require pressing medical consideration.
From Mayo Clinic to your inbox
Join free, and keep up-to-date with the newest analysis developments, well being recommendation, present well being matters, akin to COVID-19, in addition to well being administration experience.
To give you essentially the most related and helpful data, and to grasp helpful data, we could mix your electronic mail and web site utilization data with different data we now have about you. If you’re a Mayo Clinic affected person, this may occasionally embody Protected Well being Info. If we mix this data along with your PHI, we’ll deal with all such data as PHI and can use or disclose such data solely as set forth in our Discover of Privateness Practices. You possibly can unsubscribe from electronic mail communications at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe hyperlink within the electronic mail.
Thanks for subscribing
Housecall’s e-newsletter will hold you updated with the newest well being data.
Sorry, one thing went unsuitable along with your subscription
Please, attempt once more in 2 minutes
- Adams JJ. potassium; In: Emergency Drugs: Scientific Necessities. Second Version. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. Accessed Could 5, 2017.
- Hypokalemia. Merck Manuals: The Merck Handbook for Healthcare Professionals. Accessed April 5, 2017.
- Mount DB et al. Causes of hypokalemia in adults. Accessed April 5, 2017.
- Mount DB et al. Scientific options and therapy of hypokalemia in adults. Accessed April 5, 2017.
- Potassium and serum. Mayo Medical Laboratories. Accessed April 28, 2017.